The department of Zoology was born on 16thJuly 1962 from the inception of the college along with other science courses. The department was headed by many eminent lecturers starting with Mrs. N. KarunaBabji(1962 to 1995 October). The department is recognized as one of the star departments. It bagged best laboratory award from Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur, in 2010. The department also won the best RRC Formation and HIV/AIDS Awareness Award in Krishna District for the year 2010. The dimensions of biology are fast increasing and rapidly developing with more and more emphasis on fields like Cell & Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, Physiology, Bio-Statistics, Bio-Physics, Bio-Systematic, Bio-Informatics, Applied Ecology, Electron Microscopy and Biotechnology. To suit this scenario the department of Zoology got opportunity in an autonomous status to introduce relevant syllabus, career and skill enhancing add on courses that have lot of scope for employability and empowerment of students.
Contribute significantly to the promotion of higher academic standards in the institution.
To achieve academic excellence through curricular design Line of Actions:
• To develop relevant curriculum
• To offer skill based certificate courses
• To give ecological and social related projects.
Developed curriculum in the following subjects
MLT (Medical Lab Technology)
Immunology and Endocrinology
Ornamental fish culture
Offered certificate courses like Bio-farming, ornamental fish culture and aqua culture and Vermi technology.
Gave training in Medical Lab Technology and project work on Ecological, Social, Pollution, Identification of fauna and Conservation issues.
To help economically and academically weak students.
Line of actions:
To offer remedial coaching.
To recommend student s for fee concession.
To give counselling through mentoring system.
To follow up attendance.
To meet the parents whenever necessary.
The members of the department came forward to support students on various ways like payment of fees.
Special coaching during practical hours/extra class hours.
Visited students families.
Counselled and guided students through mentoring
Suggested and recommended students for fees concession, mid-day meals, book banks and clothing to the management.
Met the parents during parents meet and discussed about their wards performance and attendance.
To promote value based education and personality development
Line of actions:
To encourage students to participate in seminars and workshops.
To involve students organize various events conducted by the department.
To build self confidence in students.
Helped students to prepare power point presentations.
Involved students to be part of various events conducted by the department like Red ribbon club, Bio club, association meetings, National Seminars and work-shops.
Students were prepared to be resource persons to transmit skills related to Vermi-technology.
Students were motivated to actively involve in science exhibitions, participate in various seminars and work-shops conducted in and outside of the college and to present papers.
Inculcated in students the values of truth, charity, hard work and better self image through value education classes, personal contacts, sharing of one self, counselling, family visits and continuous follow-up.
Students were asked to present papers and take seminars in the classes so as to build up their confidence and overcome stage fear.
PAPERS OFFERED IN B. Sc COURSE
Semester I: Biology of Non Chordates
Semester II: Biology of Chordates
Semester III: Cytology, Genetics, Evolution and Zoogeography
Semester IV: Embryology, Physiology and Ecology
Semester V: Animal Biotechnology, Animal Husbandry
Semester VI: Immunology, cellular Metabolism and Molecular Biology, Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology, Clinical Microbiology, Aquatic Biology
2008 MEDICAL LAB TECHNOLOGY
2013 ORNAMENTAL FISH CULTURE
VERMITECHNOLOGY FROM 2007 ONWARDS
DEPARTMENT AT A GLANCE
• Best laboratory award given by Acharya Nagarjuna University – 2010
• Best RRC award HIV/AIDS – 2010
• Ph. D awarded to Sr. P. Japamalai in 2012
• Conducted Interdisciplinary National Seminar – Recent trends in Biotechnology 2011
• Interdisciplinary Project work – Lake Kolleru 2011 - 2012
• Eco-friendly Workshop on Vermi compost and Mushroom cultivation 2012
• Two day Science exhibition 2012
• Identification of Campus Birds 2013
• Science Exhibition for Government School Children 2014
• Seminar on Malaria Day 2015
• Establishment of Bio Club
• Workshop on Ecological Data Collection and Analysis 2017
S.No. Name Qualification Designation Experience 1 Dr. Sr. P. Japamalai M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D Lecturer & HOD 22y 2 Mrs. P. Nitya Jeeva Prada M.Sc., M.Phil., (Ph.D)., B.Ed., PGDES Lecturer 24y 3 Mrs. K .Sushma M.Sc., B.Ed Lecturer 4y 4 Mr. M. Ratna Kumar M.Sc., B.Ed Lecturer 6y
ACTIVITIES CONDUCTED DURING THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2016 – 2017
1. 22nd July, 2016 - Guest Lecture On Diversified Aquaculture And Agriculture by Bandaru Srinivasa Rao, Aqua Farmer, ICAR Awardee, NG Ranga Diversified Agriculture, Guntur
2. 24th September, 2016- Organised a Voluntary Blood Donation Awareness Programme. Dr. T. V. S. N. Sastry, Additional DM & HO, Krishna Dt, Vijayawada addressed the gathering
3. 30th November, 2016 – HIV/AIDS Awareness Programme. Dr. Madan Mohan, Chief Medical Officer, Red Cross Blood Bank, Vijayawada was the resource person for the programme
4. 1st December, 2016, organised a rally on the occasion of World AIDS Day on HIV/AIDS in collaboration with RRC & NSS of our college
5. 25th January, 2016, organised biological tour with Botany Department to visit and have personal experience on Poultry farm(Prathuru), Birds Sanctuary(Uppalapadu), Animal Husbandary and Agricultural University(Lam), Guntur
6. 8th February, 2017 organised a Guest lecture on Ornamental Fish Culture – Construction of fish tanks and its maintenance. Ghar and Sansar shop owner Mahesh Agarwal, demonstrated the whole process and helped us to set our department aquarium.
7. 21st February, 2017, arranged a guest lecture on Water Analysis by Mr. T. Vidya Sagar, Senior Environmental Scientists, AP Pollution Control Board, Vja.
8. Visit of Officials to our Zoology Museum
9. Students participated in various competitions and won prizes