RED RIBBON CLUB
RRC is a voluntary on-campus intervention aimed at creating awareness about the high risk perception and preventing HIV as well as promoting voluntary blood donation among the students. HIV is currently spreading in the world at the rate of one new infection in every fifty seconds. The HIV/AIDS is not confined to any one class, community, religion, age group, sex or profession. According to the Indian Health Organization (IHO), Women and Children are believed to be more prone to AIDS and the HIV infection is spread over all regions and all groups.
Red Ribbon Club is a movement started by the Government of India in Educational Institutions through which students will be making awareness of AIDS. The Club aims at harnessing the potential of the youth by equipping them with correct information on HIV / AIDS Prevention, Care and Support and Treatment. It also aims in building their capacities as peer educators in spreading messages on positive health behavior in an enabling environment and increasing voluntary blood donation from among youth. The clubs are envisaged to instill the values of service, develop healthy life styles, and increase access to safe and adequate quantities of blood to all the needy by promotion of regular voluntary blood donation
The club organizes awareness camps on AIDS particularly on the AIDS Day in village areas. The volunteers engage themselves in taking processions displaying play cards, distributing pamphlets regarding AIDS and the way of healthy living.
Students of our college are mobilized and formed a group that is termed as Red Ribbon Club. It is a platform where skill and knowledge building session are conducted for the student population.
Aim of the Club:
To give an exposure to the students about human touch.
To form a holistic formation of the students towards humanity.
To inculcate the value system among the students and helping them to reach out to the needy.
GOAL AND OBJECTIVES:
To prevent and reduce the occurrence of new sexually transmitted infections (incidence), particularly HIV among the youth.
- To spread awareness among the youth particularly the students about the dreaded decease the HIV/AIDS.
- To reduce new occurrences of HIV infection among youth by raising their risk perception through awareness on HIV prevention and build their capacity as peer educators and change agents by developing their skills on leadership, negotiation, and team building.
- To promote voluntary blood donation among youth.
- As youth are the future of our country “Maris Stella Red Ribbon Club” indulge them in the activities which lead to make them aware of causes and prevention of AIDS.
- To spread awareness among the youth particularly the students about the dreaded decease the HIV/AIDS and to promote voluntary blood donation among youth.
- To reduce new occurrences of HIV infection among youth by raising their risk perception through awareness & prevention methods about prevention of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus or HIV.
- To induce the spirit among youth to help and support people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) to reduce stigma and discrimination.
Red Ribbon Club was established in Maris Stella College in the year 2004 enrolls new students every year. At present, 100 students are members of the club. The club conducts the regular activities to encourage Voluntary Blood Donation and increase Awareness on AIDS and its related issues.
RED RIBBON SYMBOL:
The Red Ribbon foundation is an organization founded in 1993 whose main purpose is the education about prevention of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus or HIV, Acquired Deficiency Syndrome Related Complex, ARC and AIDS. The red ribbon is a symbol for both drug prevention and for the fight against AIDS.
The significance of Red Ribbon in HIV / AIDS: Red like Love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance for those affected. Red like Blood, representing the pain caused by many people who have of HIV positive. Red like the anger about the helplessness about which we are facing for a disease for which there is still no cure.
Strategies – “Know AIDS for no AIDS”
- Give up all your inhibitions, and visit to the ICTC, Do the HIV Test”,
- “Stop AIDS- KEEP PROMISE”
- “USE CONDOMS – SAVE LIFE.
- Awareness campaigns
- Signature campaign and Slogan writing
- Positive Persons Presentation
- Rallies and Workshop
- Safe Blood donation camps-Voluntarily Blood Donation
Inspirational lectures on AIDS & Blood Donation By Dr T.V.S.N Sastry, Addl DM & HO,Dr Samaram M.D Physician ,Vasavya Mahila Mandali, Benz circle,Dr A Sridhar Dental surgeon,Dr Madan Mohan, Vijayawada Blood banks, Dr Usha Rani new DM HO.
Role and Responsibilities:
Ribbon Club Playing a Major Role in Control & Prevention of HIV/AIDS
- To impart skills among youth on self-protection, negotiation, and effective group interaction.
- To promote regular voluntary blood donation by young people and increase access to safe and adequate quantities of blood.
- Maintenance of Club Activities Register.
Composition of the cell:
- Principal -Chairperson
- Dean-Planning & Communication.
- Vice Principles.
- Senior Faculty Co-ordinator
- 2 Faculty Members.
- 4 Student Representatives.